The Pen Pal Project: AFREDA's Lockdown-Inspired Idea

 Back in May 2020, during the first global lockdown due to the Covid-19 crisis, AFREDA proposed The Pen Pal Project on their Twitter account. The aim was to 'promote human connection in a time of isolation'. My writer friend Angel suggested participating and so we did.

© AFREADA

I wrote a letter to a stranger. On June 1st, 2020, AFREADA exchanged the letters. I received one from my pen pal, a 28-year-old woman from Tanzania. Rehema received my letter as well. Three months later, we moved from email exchanges to WhatsApp messages. 

Today, over a year later, Rehema and I are still friends, despite our busy schedules. I cherish our friendship and hope we will be friends for a very long time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Spare by Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex

I disagree With Paulo Coelho On This One

France: A Country Without Color